Thursday, October 21, 2010
What can be done to change societal images of menopause, aging and older women?
We have to embrace aging in society through Internet, TV, and Magazines due to our tech savvy world. It is important that we provide images of beauty in each phase of our life so it can be accepted everywhere and woman don't have to take extreme measures to feel accepted because of their age or aging bodies. We have been created to go through the changes for a reason, it is how are bodies are designed. I truly blame the media and most families for leading society today to a multi-billion industry in trying to keep us young. Images we see are not necessarily the same when we look at our reflection in the mirror. Women will dye their hair, botox their wrinkles and sliced and suctioned all over just to keep up with the "new, young, and hip society". Why are we so obsessed with looking so young? I believe it is all due to how we are raised and the images that our mothers portrayed to us of themselves. I always make sure that I let my daughter know that she is beautiful the way she is. With all her curves and kinks, she is a beautiful young girl and I also walk around very secure in my own body and educate my daughter it is all about remaining healthy, not young. In regards to menopause, we have to look at the word itself and pause for a time in our life to discuss the changes a woman goes through so as these changes come, we can embrace each stage with knowledge of what is going in our bodies and why these changes are happening. We are now slowly starting to see programs and shows that discuss all these health factors to woman, so that as a society we can understand what our mothers, sisters, aunts, and grandma's are going through. Education is simply the key to all things in life and I believe it is up to our doctors and health advisers to inform us on what is to come in life like menopause. Discuss it amongst family and friends as we do pregnancies. It is truly a shame on how the Western culture views it's woman, because in most cultures, the older a woman are more she respected ,admired and protected. We have to learn how to love ourselves and embrace our changes, otherwise the divide between the young and old will continue to grow apart along with our views of each other.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Danadane,
ReplyDeleteI defintely agree with you about society pushing that thin and young is in and old is out. You age that is what you are suppose to do. As women our bodies go through so many changes and we have to be prepared for them, but that is what we were created for. Menopause wasn't talked about that much and now we are starting to get more education on it and can better prepare. Being a women is hard work and we just have to look at all the changes in a positive way and not bend to societies warped way of how women SHOULD be. Awesome post.
Shenita Jolivette
I really enjoyed your post and I completely agree that we should age gracefully instead of trying to stay young. I personally think that elderly people are the most beautiful people. When I see an older person, I can’t help but wonder what their story is and I am always amazed because they have lived and seen things that I never got to see. I love listening to the elderly tell stories about when they were young and I think all things considered old like wrinkles, scars, and gray hair, show a life well lived.
ReplyDeleteI think that the encouragement you give your daughter is the most important part of helping people embrace their age and bodies. Everyone needs to have good self-esteem and be proud of who they are. If we could quit seeing magazines, movies, and news about “glamorous” people and were shown what people actually look like, I think everyone would be a lot more comfortable in their own skin.
Meghan McGehee
I definitely agree that its a shame on how the western culture view their women. Young or old, women should be respected. We have fought numerous years to finally be able to vote, to work, and to do other things besides cook, clean, and submit to our husbands. And guess how amazing we are.... WE do the cooking, cleaning and parenting and still hold down full time jobs. We have a come a long way and have earned our respect.
ReplyDeleteTodays society is so caught up in appearance its hard to raise a young lady to know that its whats in your heart that counts.And explain to our kids that everything on TV is not real. We as parents have to lead by example. . How can you be upset with your 18 year old for smoking and you sit up in the house and blow smoke in her/his face? How can you teach them to live a healthy lifestyle and you buy them fast food every single day? We need our parents to be parents and stop trying to be their childs friend. Enjoyed your post
THANK YOU
Dear Dana
ReplyDeleteon your blog you explain the reality and a shame of western culture how older women are treated. In consumer oriented society almost every thing is purchased and sold. young women's posture and sexuality advertised to sell products to make money for companies.when women get older they spend a lot of money on cosmetic product and surgeries to look young and fit in the society. why older women go through all these stress and expenses. as you said accept the course of nature is the right thing to do.
I agree with your blog. I agree with telling our children how beautiful they are in order to prevent this need they have to be different than they are. I said the same thing in my blog about education being the key. We need to tell each other what we are going through. If we cannot talk to other women about what is happening to our bodies, because they understand like no one else, then who can we talk too? There is no harm in trying to look your best at any age, but we shouldn't try to completely stop nature.
ReplyDeleteKerri