Thursday, October 14, 2010

Many people equate STDs with immorality, promiscuous behavior and low social status. What are you thoughts on this statement?

It is a social stigma for people to relate STD's to someone being promiscuous, fast or from a low class social status which is absolutely not the case.  Many STD cases also come from very well educated, financially stable, married and single people.  It all boils down to how well we take care of ourselves and the choices we make in our sexual lives. Some partners may not have that choice as I watched the video about the "Silent Partner in a Marriage" the woman where married and only slept with their husbands, however, the case was not the same when it came to there husbands where they slept around and eventually passed HIV and many other STD's to their wives.  The men never cared to protect themselves or their wives due to their selfishness and accepted cultural behaviors.  It disgusted me how till this day in many countries, woman are treated as second citizens to men and have no say about there life, goals, beliefs, or even a choice to say no. Men and woman today all around the world are thinking twice before having sex without a condom, but it does not necessary indicate they will use one.  As much as we would like to place faith in our spouses or partners, it is very important that we must get checked yearly for any problems to help protect ourselves and others and making sure we are educated as soon as possible.  Women can have their well exams yearly and for men yearly physicals to ensure that no problems are present in that department.  We should not point fingers at where an STD came from because we can't, just remember that an STD does not discriminate.  It can happen to anyone, anytime, and anywhere.

Dana Anderson

3 comments:

  1. Hi Dana,

    I agree with you that STD's don't discriminate and it can happen to anyone, anytime, and anywhere. How you carry yourself and protect yourself is what really matters and sometimes you can't help it if your partner is not being monogamous and you are that is not your fault. That's why you should always use some kind of protection whenever you engage in sexual activity because what is paying a couple of dollars for protection to contracting an STD that you will have to pay for the rest of your life. That should be the mindset of those who are sexually active. Great post.

    Shenita Jolivette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dana,
    I agree with what you said. It is so important to have the yearly exams! I think that it is good when people can trust their partners, but this is one area that I would be paranoid about. I definitely would want to take care of myself and know if I was at risk for getting an STD. I’m surprised because I thought I knew a lot about this kind of stuff, but then when I read the chapters, I am shocked! I always have to go and tell my friends what I read. For example, when I read that one of every four U.S. women between 14 and 19 has an STI, I was shocked! That is a very large number and I didn’t expect it to be that big! I already thought that teaching Sex Education was important, but now I’m even more for it.
    Meghan McGehee

    ReplyDelete
  3. dear Dana
    you make a good point on your blog about women who are dominated by their husband. these women are the victim of their culture that their voice were silenced and get infected and died from it. it is very sad and it has to be stooped.i strongly believe that educate women about their right and empower them to make a decision about their body.

    ReplyDelete