As a mother of an 11 year old little girl who is very well developed has been faced with that challenge of how to address such a sensitive topic with my daughter. I was not worried about telling her, but I was concerned on how to tell her and how much to share with her. Is there a limit on how much you should share with your daughter? I believe in this fast sex crazed country we live in, one should talk about everything related to sex as early as you can because if you don't then you are taking a chance of them obtaining that information from an unreliable source such as friends, magazines, movies, etc.... Since my daughter was pretty developed, I had started that talk with her at the age of 10! She is very smart and very conservative on her own, I can't see already that will not condone in such behavior because how much she values God in her life. Although I respect her for that, I know she is still human and hormones will be raging pretty soon so it is very important that she is very educated so if she is ever placed in that predicament, I would hope she chooses the right choice. I personally have used the bible as a source of why premarital sex is against Gods wishes also other sources such as http://www.4parents.gov/ and www.webmd.com/sex-relationships where it provides the educational and medical aspect of things when discussing the "sex talk". Just remember to never underestimate what kids know, you will be surprised what they already know. Be an advocate of health within your own family to set a great example to others that might relate one day.
Dana Anderson
Dana,
ReplyDeleteI would like say that you did an amazing job by recognizing your daughter’s early development. Truth is some parents don’t like to have a talk because it takes them out of their comfort zone. Another fact is that kids mentally develop early nowadays. It is very good choice that you made to have the ‘talk’ early on so your daughter don’t get the information from an unreliable source. I know sex talk can be very uncomfortable, but it is the right thing to do for your kids. I also think that sex education should be taught at school early on. Their education should include the information appropriate for their age. Sex education should be about developing young teen’s skill so they make informed choices about their behavior. Their education should also include sexual abuse, exploitation, unintended pregnancies, and STD.
Subuk Usmani
Dear Dana
ReplyDeleteIt is a good thing to hear that you couched you daughter behaviour through bible. i believe our faith lead us we want to be. as you mentioned the world we live mostly teens have been exposed in many ways about sex. i strongly believe comprehensive sex education, both absent ism and contraceptive sex education is important to lay out the fact what they expect when they get matured.
Dear Dana,
ReplyDeleteI like your post. I like that you already have a child and your teaching her about sex and the consequences that comes with it. Because as you notice that our children is becoming more aware of their body and they are starting to get curious. I applaud you for making the effort of teaching her, and maybe other mother would take your advice.
Jacqueline Gasaway